Thursday, March 26, 2009

Headed Home

I guess I'm set to make my way home next week and, riding wise, I couldn't be happier. The weather is niiice but I've had my fill, for the moment, of flat, windy, three lane roads populated with asshole motorists screaming at me from their 5 ton trucks. I feel as if I've accomplished what I came here to do; get a feel for and learn how to race in big groups, and build a big base for the long season. Having done these things I'm sooo excited to get home and head out to Emyvale and Hunter River to do some building and destroy myself on some hills. I don't care if it snows, rains or is -10, I can't wait to get out and do some climbing.

Before I head out, though, I'm heading to my first Cat 3 race on Sunday and I can't wait. The past two races have been really stressful and intimidating as I've been alone and ended up riding about 40k on both occasions just to get to the start line. This weekend, though, Derek is racing and his wicked nice family offered to drive us! I'm also feeling a bit more confident in my legs as I started to build a bit last week doing 3 days with a bit of intensity; one day of 5, 1.5 m hill intervals on the ONLY hill in Frisco, another of 5, 10m intervals at a hr of 165 and another day on which I rode with Derek and we did a few good pushes. It was really refreshing, and with a couple of days recovery this weekend I'm noticing that my legs are feeling fresher the morning after a day with a bit of intensity. I'm hoping that the couple of half-intense days will enable me to at least keep up with what I imagine to be a pretty fast pace.

I'm looking forward to getting home, too, for entertainment away from riding. I've been fighting off insanity for the past few months while having 800 channels to choose from and last week Marv came in and hauled out the cable to save him a few bucks(not happy). So I think I may now be on the market for a straight jacket. Aside from that I managed to misplace my bank card a few weeks ago, so I've had no money to go out and do anything until Tuesday of this week. Last night made up for this, though, as me and Derek hit up Hooters for a feed. The sights! We were kind of wondering if it was, like, ok to look/stare but if these people aren't looking for attention why would they be serving us 1/2 naked? When my food showed up I realized that I didn't even really know what I ordered as the mind was kind of pre-occupied but the Cuban sandwich was really good, likely clocking in at 60000 calories, but good. We headed to the theatre which happened to be COMPLETELY empty, aside from the two of us, to see Gran Turino. This came as a bit of luck as the Cuban sandwich left me a bit gassy. Clint Eastwood is what I want to be when I grow up.

1 comment:

  1. Gran Torino was the best movie i have ever seen.. and I am pretty sure i was the only person in the theatre that was bawling her eyes out.

    ReplyDelete