Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Amish Throw a Mean Party

I guess it's spring in Texas? It's strange because prior to last week I had to wear leg warmers and a jacket on the majority of my rides but last week and this have been super warm. I got some wicked work on my tanlines today with 4 hours baking in the sun. It's not unbearably warm either yet, either, which is nice. Marv says that in April it's consistently 30, which will be my cue to head back north.

I have a pretty sweet routine going of riding all day and then watching documentaries all night. I've always wanted to be the guy who knows a bunch of pointless and interesting facts(Stan Dewar), but usually I just spend my free time watching Seinfeld so all I really have up in the thinking station is Kramer quotes. Over the past week I've watched documentaries on prison life, the hells angels, the bandidos and last night on an Amish tradition known as 'Rumspringa'. Aside from learning about the process I discovered that when an Amish teen throws a party, people from Amish communities all over the nation come and they've been known to get as big as like 1500 people. I wonder if its possible to get into one of these? I think if nothing else it'd be an experience.

In other news I got a super bad scare the other night when the city's tornado alarm howled for about 10 minutes and the weather network shit itself after a tornado ripped some houses apart in Oklahoma. The same storm was set to pass through here, too. I don't know a whole lot about preparing for a tornado as the only preparation I've ever done for bad weather has been for snow storms, and all I really do is stock up on cereal and beer. At first I piled a bunch of important shit into the bathtub but apparently you're supposed to be on the lowest floor possible so I grabbed my bike and sat on the lawnmower downstairs in the garage until the storm passed. Nothing too bad came through this exact area but I guess some relatively close cities got hit pretty hard an some buidlings were dinged up.

Keep your stick on the ice.

No comments:

Post a Comment